• Tim Jamieson: "I’m just happy we came away with a win. There was kind of a strange feel to the game. I thought we did some things real well offensively early. Kyle (Gibson) did not have his best stuff, but he competed and fortunately we had a couple of relievers come in and had some good batters faced. It was kind of a weird feel, and I’m glad we came away with a win and look forward to Friday."■ Tigers hang on in Big 12 opener (Columbia Tribune):
• Kyle Gibson: "When you don’t have your best fastball, that is what you have to do. I was letting my fastball line and sink a little bit and then I would use my off-speed to make my fastball look a little bit better. Late in the year I was trying to throw them for a loop a little bit and trying to make it look a little bit different and mix them up."
Needing just eight pitches for his first save of the year and of his career, Tepesch is still expected to start Saturday’s game against second-seeded Oklahoma. Missouri will face seventh-seeded Texas Tech at 3 p.m. Friday.
“We needed a win today before we worried about Friday and Saturday,” said Jamieson, who wouldn’t commit to a set rotation.
■ Gibson leads Tigers to victory in Big 12 baseball tournament opener (Columbia Missourian):
Missouri ace Kyle Gibson said on Sunday he wanted to pitch on Wednesday and he wanted to carry his team to a win in its first game of the Big 12 Conference tournament.■ Also on Day 1 of the Tournament:
Gibson didn't pitch all nine innings but he accomplished his goal. Missouri beat Texas A&M 5-2 on Wednesday afternoon in Oklahoma City.
Kansas State 5, Kansas 4
Baylor 14, Texas 9
Oklahoma 5, Texas Tech 2
■ RockMNation live thread:
• The Beef (regarding Texas sending int heir 7th pitcher of the day): Sounds like Johnny Wholesuck for them today
• The Beef (again): While winning the Big XII Tourney would be a nice achievement for our program, it seems coaches/managers value it differently. Since we are not (likely) playing our way into hosting a regional at this point, I can see where it would not make sense to try to win the thing at the risk of really burdening your chances to win a regional. Gibson is going to be key either way, and trust me, I would love both. But, I think I might take a regional advancement over a title since a super regional is a best 2 out of 3 and he would give us a great shot there as well on his proper rest
• And a link to somebody's scorecard of the game