Saturday, May 9, 2009

MU 8, KU 5

RPI after last night's game:

MU 26th
KU 58th
(Boyd's World)

Mizzou takes game one (PowerMizzou.com):

Just call him Superman. With two outs in the bottom of the sixth and runners on second and third, a crowd of 1,774 at Taylor Stadium watched a ball smash off the centerfield wall. As the runner neared third, he received the signal to try and complete the inside-the-park home run. With just a few steps to go before reaching home, the exhausted runner sailed through the air with arms spread like Superman. Only this Superman wasn't wearing Jayhawk red and blue. No, this Superman was wearing black and gold and goes by the name of Greg Folgia.
Folgia's two homers propel Tigers to victory over KU (Columbia Missourian):


Folgia hit a ball to the warning track that carried and KU centerfielder Jason Brunansky dove to make the play but slammed into the center field wall. Folgia sprinted to third then got the go home signal from third base coach Evan Pratte. Folgia took a deep breath running out of steam and flopped head first to beat the throw at home.

"Once I saw him hit the ground I started running a little faster," Folgia said. "I was out of breath before I got to third. That was the only energy I had left, I just wanted to dive in the pool."
. . .
Freshman Garrison McLagan made his collegiate debut. A few weeks ago McLagan was expecting to redshirt. He was enjoying an Andy's Frozen Custard while his team was in Manhattan, Kansas playing Kansas St. Friday night he was the designated hitter. McLagan went 1-for-4 with his first hit coming in the fourth inning.

"Last night, I talked to Coach Vitello, there was a possibility of taking off my redshirt and using my bat at a DH positon," McLagan said. "I didn't know until about 3:45."

Folgia is the life of the party (Columbia Tribune):

“I gave him a big hug — that’s for sure — because it was the insurance we needed,” Gibson said of Folgia’s second home run. “The one thing that made this so sweet is how many fans were here. Whoever got the word out that we were playing Kansas here on a Friday night did a good job.”

■ From Tigerboard.com:

BBFanatic: That was soooo cool. Greg Folgia's inside the parker, and the swan dive had diving into home was beautiful.

TigerNation25: Robby Price: I hate you even more now. I wonder if it is just a genetic impossibility for one of those Price boys to show any class whatsoever. He gestured to the croud to be silent when kU took their brief lead, when he's not even the one that hit the big bomb...I just despise him even more now.
Senior Season Comeback (KOMU.com):

What does Lollis think his biggest achievement is this season?

"I put like 8 pieces of gum in my mouth and I didn't want to throw it away so I stuck it behind my ear for an inning, and I pulled some of my hair out when I pulled it off, but I wanted to save it for an inning because I wanted to have the most pieces of gum chewed on the team.

Just like the gum, Lollis is savoring his season.

No comments:

Post a Comment