Tepesch strong in Triple-A tuneup atmlb.com/14SJUww via @rangers
— TR Sullivan (@Sullivan_Ranger) April 5, 2013
♦ Nick Tepesch (08-10) began the season on the roster of the Round Rock Express and pitched a single game prior to being moved up to his new role as the Texas Rangers' 5th starter.
♦ Brock Bond (06-07) Fresno Grizzlies (Pacific Coast League) San Francisco Giants organization
- Bond was invited to the Giants Major League spring training camp and was awarded the Harry S. Jordan Award, as the"player in his first big league camp whose performance and dedication in Spring Training best exemplifies the San Francisco Giants spirit." But he did not make the Giants roster.
- 2012 Stats: .332 BA (112-for-337), 106 G, 59 R, 15 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 31 RBI, 48 BB, 41 SO, 3/5 SB, .422 OBP, .398 SLG
- Frey was moved down to Mobile from the AAA Reno Aces on May 20th last season. Frey's numbers took a slump after the move from AAA to AA, but by August his numbers were back up to his usual production level, with a .364 BA in September.
- 2012 AA Mobile Stats: .256 (92-for-360), 95 G, 47 R, 14 2B, 3 3B, 0 HR, 23 RBI, 50 BB, 50 SO, 29/36 SB, .348 OB%, .311 SLG
- Gibson returned to the pitching mound in 2012 after recovering from Tommy John surgery. He posted a 2.45 ERA in 14.2 innings pitched in the Gulf Coast League, a 2.57 ERA in 7 IP in the Florida State League, and a 9.45 ERA in 6.2 IP with Rochester.
- Gibson is expected to be promoted to the Minnesota Twins at some point this season, as soon as he builds his strength and consistency following his surgery and rehab.
- Mathis joined the Chiba Lotte Marines of the Nippon Professional Baseball League after spending most of the 2012 season with the Pawtucket Red Sox (International League) Boston Red Sox organization
♦ Tyler Clark (08-10): Erie Sea Wolves (Eastern League) Detroit Tigers organization
- Clark was moved up to Double-A Erie on August 6th
- 2012 AA Erie Stats: 0-0, 7.36 ERA, 7.1 IP, 7 G, 8 H, 8 R, 6 ER, 1 HR, 6 BB, 7 SO, OPP BA .276
- 2012 Single-A Lakeland Stats: 6-1. 0.63 ERA, 42.2 IP, 31 G, 9 SV, 19 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 HR, 17 BB, 59 SO, .137 BA
♦ Ryan Lollis (06-09) Richmond Flying Squirrels (Eastern League) San Francisco Giants organization
- 2012 Stats at Fresno: .309 BA (54-for-175), 50 G, 27 R, 9 2B, 2 3B, 3 HR, 21 RBI, 25 BB, 26 SO, 2/5 SB, .393 OBP, .434 SLG
- 2012 Stats: .3-1, 3.48 ERA, 61 G, 1 SV, 51.2 IP, 46 H, 21 R, 20 ER, 1 HR, 20 BB, 54 SO, .242 OPP BA
- Nicholas has been very consistent at the plate, maintaining an average around .285 throughout the season.
- 2012 Myrtle Beach Stats: .285 BA (127-for-446), 122 G, 49 R, 33 2B, 0 3B, 8 HR, 63 RBI, 44 BB, 84 SO, 5/6 SB, .351 OB%, .415 SLG
- Nicholas now plays at 1st base much more often than as a catcher, which may have increased his playing time and his prospects.
- Stites had a great season in his first full year in the minor leagues. He was named the Baseball America Low-A All-Star Relief Pitcher of the Year.
- Stites and Quackenbush were in the Padres major league camp earlier this spring after strong showings in the Arizona Fall League... Stites, 22, was 2-0 with a 0.74 ERA in 42 games with Single-A Fort Wayne. (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Zagone is currently on the the 7-day Disable List
- Zagone saw time in AA, AA and High A ball last season (some of those spots more than once). He was moved back up to AA Bowie in late June, then pitched twice back in AAA Norfolk at the end of the season.
- Overall 2012 stats: 9-5. .341 ERA, 28 G, 22 GS, 1 SV, 142.2 IP, 114 H, 61 R, 54 ER, 11 HR, 60 BB, 90 SO, .224 OPP BA
- Senne had a good year in his first full injury-free season in the minors.
- 2012 Stats: .284 (97-for-342), 84 G, 40 R, 16 2B, 2 3B, 10 HR, 53 RBI, 26 BB, 78 SO, 1/3 SB, .342 OB%, .430 SLG
- 2012 Danville Stats: .201 (36-for-179), 53 G, 27 R, 6 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, 20 RBI, 25 BB, 72 SO, 10/14 SB, .313 OB%, .313 SLG
- 2012 Overall Stats: .228 (34-for-149), 41 G, 24 R, 7 WB, 1 3B, 3 HR, 19 RBI, 26 BB, 35 SO, 5/9 SB, .352 OB%, .349 SLG
- 2012 Overall Stats: 1-3, 5.46 ERA, 23 G, 2 SV, 29.2 IP, 31 H, 20 R, 18 ER, 1 HR, 15 BB, 28 SO, .258 OPP BA
CLASS A ROOKIE
- Holovach is still listed as being with the Aqua Sox, but they are a short-season team whose roster and season won't begin until June. Holovach is more than likely in Extended Spring Training at this time.
- 2012 Stats: 1-5, 3.91 ERA, 14 G, 10 GS, 48.1 IP, 49 H, 29 R, 21 ER, 3 HR, 22 BB, 30 SO, .261 OPP BA
The independent league rosters will not be finalized until sometime in May
RELEASED OR RETIRED
♦ Mike Liberto (09-10) was released by the Kansas City Royals organization during spring training.
MINOR LEAGUE COACHING
♦ Landon Brandes (2000): Minor League Strength and Conditioning Coordinator, Washington Nationals
♦ Spring Training Secret: Most Roster Decisions Are Set In Advance (Baseball America)
Simple logic explains why spring training doesn’t weigh heavily in teams’ decisions. The minor league spring training season lasts roughly 15 games—three starts for most pitchers and less than 50 at-bats for many position players.
Teams don’t make decisions on who moves up or moves down during the regular season based on a good or bad two weeks. Similarly, they see the spring training games and they take note of them, but in many cases, the decisions were largely made before the players ever stepped onto the field for the first spring training minor league game.
So what does decide who gets cut? ...
If you have further information about any of these players, or corrections to my info, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org