Wednesday, June 6, 2012

MLB Draft: Another 25 rounds

The MLB Draft continues today, beginning at 11 AM CT, with rounds 16-40.  The entire draft is live at MLB Draft Central.  And I'll be posting updates here and on Twitter.

I expect to hear the names of additional current Tigers today, and possibly some Mizzou recruits.  By the time we get into the lower rounds of the draft, however, the likelihood of those players signing a pro contract and not coming to Mizzou in the fall will decrease, depending on the specific situation of each player.

The Columbia Tribune says: Junior shortstop Eric Garcia is expected to go inside the top 20 rounds. Seniors Ben Turner, Conner Mach and Dusty Ross could also be selected. Juniors Dane Opel and Blake Holovach and senior Jeff Emens would be late-round picks.

Alec Rash of ADM picked by Philadelphia Phillies in 2nd round (IndyStar.com)
Rash didn't know when he would make a decision, saying it could take weeks. He declined to provide details about what type of money he was seeking.

“I’m just looking for the right opportunity for me and my family so I can develop the best I can,” Rash said.

♦ These are not the quotes of someone considering returning to MU: West grad Brown drafted by Braves (pantagraph.com)
“I had heard a few different things (prior to the draft),” said the 6-foot-1, 185-pound outfielder. “Fifth round was what I’d been hearing quite a bit and I had heard as high as fourth.

“I’m very happy. It’s everything you think it will be and even a little more. You have family and friends with you and you’re waiting (to be drafted). The anxiety was a lot more than I thought it would be.”
. . .
Brown called his decision to attend Missouri “great.”

“I’ve gotten so much better, more than just the physical and statistical things,” Brown said. “It’s been the mental toughness and the way I know the game. That’s the best thing I’ve gotten from Missouri.”

Missouri outfielder drafted in fifth round by Atlanta Braves (Columbia Missourian)
Brown said making the decision to leave Missouri and sign with the Braves organization was a difficult one.

"Mizzou got me where I am today," Brown said. "I learned a lot of life lessons, not just in baseball, but in life. It made me the person I am today."

No comments:

Post a Comment