“I’m looking up in the stands just watching, seeing if there’s something happening somewhere,” Lueck said.■ College Baseball Insider has been running a series on The State of College Baseball. They polled D-I coaches and received responses from 121 (40%), addressing various topics:
Sometimes the "something" is a disagreement or a fight. Most often, this occurs during high school wrestling.
"It’s a different kind of fan," Lueck said. "Usually the toughest ones are Mom and Grandma.”
- Bats: 43 percent said the new bats will cause them to change the way they coach.
- Scholarships: 86 percent of coaches agreed there should be more than the current 11.7 scholarships
- Pitch clock: "Our guess is that there are likely a number of coaches who simply believe that clocks are better served for sports other than baseball," said Phil Stanton, co-founder of CollegeBaseballInsider.com. "But there also could be a number of coaches who believe that the new bats will help shorten college baseball games on their own, and the pitch clock wasn't necessary."
- Post-season: 45% want to keep the post-season format unchanged
- Best College coaches: Among the BCS coaches, Oregon's Horton captured 14 votes (13 percent), with Clemson's Jack Leggett and Texas' Augie Garrido each garnering 13 votes (12 percent).