Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mizzou Baseball in the Minors & Majors

Facing Greek God of Walks was an eye-opener for Kyle Gibson (espn.com)
"It's something that was kind of instilled in me at (the University of) Missouri, I guess. The pitching coach there (Tony Vitello), he always told us, 'Go out there and compete, and if something doesn't go your way, don't let the other team know that that's not what you meant to happen.' I kind of took that to heart and said I don't want anyone to know if I'm doing good or doing bad. If they show up in the fourth inning, it should look like I've been throwing a no-hitter."

The consensus within the organization is that Gibson will pitch for the Twins in 2011. That's almost a foregone conclusion, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Guys I love, guys I hate (espn.com)
When I read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" I was bored for the first 100 pages. What the hell was everyone so excited about? Second half of the book, I couldn't put it down. Started slow, ended strong: Max Scherzer is the pitcher with the dragon tattoo.

Quotable (Cleveland.com)
The one pitcher who seemed immune to the conditions was right-hander Doug Mathis. He threw two scoreless innings and Acta said it was a "miracle' that he didn't give up a run.

Mathis is in camp with the Indians as a spring training invitee.

"Doug's value is that he's been a starter and can pitch out of the bullpen," said Acta. "He's battling for one of those spots where guys can throw multiple innings."
MLB.com's Jordan Bastian on Twitter:
RHP Doug Mathis has an out clause in his contract in case he doesn't make Opening Day roster. He's competing for bullpen job with Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment