♦ Also check out our off-season South By Southeast posts about South Carolina Baseball:
The SEC Fan's Guide to Mizzou Baseball for everything you need to know.
About to head off to Mizzou for the weekend! Get to play against fellow Muskrat @d_kelly5 #muskratnation2k11
— LB Dantzler (@LBDantzler) March 14, 2013
On the way to M I crooked letter crooked letter O-U-R-I
— Forrest Koumas (@fkoumas27) March 14, 2013
we goin to Mizzou! @tannerenglish3 twitter.com/EBeal14/status…
— Evan Beal (@EBeal14) March 14, 2013
♦ Fan Primer: Mizzou Baseball vs. South Carolina (mutigers.com)
The Mizzou baseball program opens SEC play against No. 5 South Carolina this weekend at Taylor Stadium and there will be plenty of promotions to help kick off the historic weekend. Aside from a nearly perfect forecast, Friday night (March 15) should be memorable for fans in attendance as there will be pre-game fireworks and free t-shirts for the first 500 fans. The gold commemorative t-shirts are part of the ®Gold Rush game as fans will be encouraged to wear gold to the game, which is the Tigers¡¯ first-ever SEC baseball contest. Below is a list of the complete promotions for the weekend...♦ 20 Mondays (College Baseball Today, 3/11)
Of Note: Okay, so they went 5-0 this week and considering Rider came in 6-1 and one of the favorites in the MAAC, we should be impressed, right? Well, at least they held the Broncos scoreless in two of the games, blanking them on Friday with a one-hitter.
MIZZOU & THE SEC
♦ According to the latest Division 1 Baseball Attendance Report from Sportswirters.net, South Carolina has averaged 7,098 in attendance for their first 11 home games so far this season. That puts them in 4th place on the list (the top 5 are all SEC schools)
Missouri's average attendance at Taylor Stadium in 2012 was 824.
♦ Mizzou has played 12 games so far in 2013, 6 of those at home. That puts them last in the SEC. South Carolina has played 18 games, 16 of those at home
SEC Baseball So Far
- * Vanderbilt (16-2) is ranked #2 by Baseball America. Their 2 losses were to Long Beach State and Oregon, both in game 3 of weekend series.
- * South Carolina (15-2) is ranked #5. Losses to Liberty and Clemson.
- Mississippi (18-1) is ranked #6. Their lone loss was to Memphis, the same team that swept Mizzou.
- * LSU (16-1) is ranked #7, losing once to BYU.
- * Kentucky (14-2) is ranked #10. They've played a somewhat light schedule, losing to Kansas State and Michigan State.
- Mississippi State (18-2) is ranked #13. They've played a somewhat light schedule also - all at home except one win vs. Southern Miss at a neutral site - losing twice to Central Arkansas.
- Arkansas (13-5) is ranked #15, mostly due to the fact that they were picked #1 preseason by many, so they've been slow to fall in spite of their losses to Western Illinois, Arizona State (twice), Gonzaga, Pacific. Those last four all came in one tournament at Surprise, AZ.
- * Auburn (13-3) has an impressive looking record, but those loses were to Middle Tennessee State, Kennesaw State, and Eastern Illinois, and not balanced out by any truly impressive wins, except one non-conference game vs. Alabama
- * Texas A&M (11-7) has actually played one of the tougher schedules among SEC teams, including games vs. Pepperdine (1-2), Houston (L), Rice (W), North Carolina (L), and Cal State Fullerton (1-2)
- * Alabama (9-8) started the season 8-1, but have lost 7 of their last 11 games. to a fairly good schedule of opponents
- * Georgia (8-9) has been very inconsistent, winning and losing against a not too impressive schedule.
- * Florida (8-10) was expected to not be as good as they have been in recent years, but no one expected a start like this. And their losses have not been against a powerhouse schedule.
- * Tennessee (9-7) Has played a pretty good schedule, and come up short. They started with a 1-3 opening weekend against UNLV, the surprise mid-major success story of the early season, and also have been beaten by Arizona State, Notre Dame and Virginia Tech.
- Missouri (4-7) has struggled to get going, with great starting pitching held back by quiet bats.
* Teams on Mizzou's 2013 schedule