|Great night for @MUTigerBaseball ! (@mutigercrew on Twitter)|
A dominant pitching performance by the Black squad led the way for Black to sweep the Fall World Series, taking Game Four by a 4-2 final. Pitchers Rob Zastryzny, Andrew Hohn, Gerrion Grim, and Breckin Williams combined to hold the Gold team to two hits in the game's final eight innings, ending the fall intrasquad set. For the third game in a row, the start for Black was too much for Gold, as two runs in the first inning were too much for Gold to match. Freshman pitcher Alec Rash, a second-round draft pick of the Philadelphia Phillies, also made his Mizzou debut in the contest, throwing 15 pitches and registering a strikeout against the first batter he faced. Columbia native Ryan Phillips was just as impressive in his start for Gold, going five innings and surrendering only two runs, both in the opening frame.
♦ The Columbia Missourian has a Photo Gallery: Missouri baseball team finishes Fall World Series, although they've misidentified one of the pictured players as former MU catcher Ben Turner.
WORD ON THE TWEET
- In final game of FWS, Mizzou had the win go to a Frosh, the save to a Frosh, and an impressive performance by losing pitcher, also a Frosh.
- A lot of newcomers were impressive all Fall for Mizzou. Can't wait for baseball season to start. #EmbraceTheUnderdog
- Justin Byrd with the longest strike I've seen in a long time. Hits a fly ball that cleared the Mac, but foul.
- Update on Ryan Phillips: 44 of his first 59 pitches came in for strikes, and he's through 4 innings. Still, Gold trails 2-1.
- Dylan Kelly does his best Yadi impression behind the dish, picks off Keaton Steele at 2nd.
- Ryan Phillips gets a scoreless second, and Rob Z enters the game to pitch for Black in B2. He's sporting the pants up to show off his calves
- Handful of scouts already in Taylor Stadium as Alec Rash and Rob Zastryzny are throwing tonight for Team Black, already up 3 games to none.
Gavin Stark: Last fall baseball game ever. Kind of bitter sweet.