Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How Do I Love Thee?

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height  

Of the strike zone's reach, when failing umpire's sight 

Is rendered moot by the THWOCK of the ideal BBCOR swing.

I love thee to the level of every game's 

Most hushed moments, by sun and stadium-lights. 

I love thee freely, as men strive for the extra base; 

I love thee purely, as they turn from third. 

I love thee with a passion put to use 

In old rivalries, and with my childhood's faith. 

I love thee with a love I seemed to lose 

With my lost heroes, I love thee with the breath, 

Smiles, tears, of all my life! and, if God choose,

I shall but love thee better after death.


 (Shamelessly adapted from How Do I Love Thee, by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment