Friday, August 21, 2009

Off-Season Pastimes: It's a Beautiful Day for a Ballgame

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." (Rogers Hornsby)

What can the avid college baseball fan do in the off-season to stave off the dreaded baseball-deprivation blues?

Listen to some great Baseball Music. One of my favorites is "It's a Beautiful Day for a Ballgame". This isn't the best quality rendition, but it'll get you in the mood anyway.


Back in the 90's, when Kegger (aka Eric Kegley, formerly of Marching Mizzou and the unforgettable Mizzou Baseball live band Squeeze Play) was the Simmons Field PA announcer and was choosing the song sets, this song was played every day during the pre-game time. I found it pure joy to sit on the old aluminum bleachers on a sunny May afternoon and listen to the Harry Simeone Singers extol the beauty of the day. And I'm fairly certain Kegger derived a perverse pleasure from playing the song on those frigid March days while the snow flurries blew under the bleachers and swirled around our frozen feet.

I miss the days when a few baseball-themed songs were standard fare at the ballpark. These days, it seems the students doing the song selection are bigger fans of their hip-hop idols than of the game they've been given the distinct honor of framing with music. They could at least download a hippity-hop version of Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

No comments:

Post a Comment