Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Draft Deadline Signings (and not)

Gibson signs, Crow still talking, Senne unsigned, all Mizzou recruits decline to sign with the pros

■ Twins work late to sign first rounder (Minnapolis Star-Tribune)

The Twins signed first-round draft pick Kyle Gibson to a $1.85 million signing bonus Monday, beating an 11 p.m. deadline by about 10 minutes.
. . .
The commissioner's office slot recommendation for the No. 22 pick was about $1.29
million, and as deadline approached, the Twins had barely budged from that number. Gibson had hoped to sign for about $2.5 million but made a big compromise at the end.

"I'm really excited about the deal, and I think it's going to work out perfect for both sides," Gibson said. "For me, it was never about making more money than the other guy. I understood, being the No. 22 pick, I was going to take a discount. But I didn't want to take the discount unless they were willing to come my way as well."
■ Kansas City now focused on signing top selection Crow (MLB.com)
With Myers and Dwyer signed and accounted for, the Royals can now focus on signing first-round pick Aaron Crow, who played independent ball this spring and is out of collegiate eligibility and therefore isn't subject to Monday's deadline.
. . .
This year, Crow's deadline-exempt status brings another new element into negotiations. Technically, the Royals have until a week before next year's Draft to sign Crow, but, of course, would like to see a resolution happen much sooner than that.

"There is no deadline," Moore said. "We'll just continue to expect to reach an agreement and continue to do our very best to get a deal done. You always want to get your players out playing and obviously that hasn't happened in Aaron's case. We'll see what unfolds in the future."
■

No comments:

Post a Comment