Monday, June 8, 2009

MLB Draft

■ Bernie Miklasz, on 101 ESPN in St. Louis discussed Kyle Gibson's draft status with Keith Law of ESPN.com today on the air. Some quotes (audio available HERE):
• Two have told me they already banged him, one team told me it was more serious
than Tommy John surgery.

• Teams are not willing to spend a first round pick on somebody with that big of a risk factor.

• The problem with Gibson's injury is that you're getting some pretty divergent opinons from doctors on how serious it is, whether this will be an issue long term.
■ Garret Broshuis' latest Prospect Diary recalls What Draft Day Is Like
The fourth round commenced and nervous anticipation came with it. I paced throughout the room, knowing that my time possibly drew close. Then, the unthinkable happened. The Internet went out.

"Frickin' Al Gore!" somebody said. "Invents a thing that doesn't even work."

There was nothing we could do. We couldn't leave and go somewhere else. We would miss too much. We simply had to wait and hope that it came back in a few minutes. A few minutes turned into 30 minutes, which felt like hours. Finally I left the little room and went to the refrigerator to grab some water.

At this point, my phone rang. I hurriedly answered it and heard the voice of Mizzou's hitting coach, Evan Pratte.

"Broshuis! Congratulations!!" he immediately said.

"What?! What happened?!"

"You haven't heard? Fifth round, San Francisco Giants."

With that, I sat down to take it all in. A huge grin came over my face and a surreal amount of elation, the type of elation only delivered by extraordinary events, surged throughout me.

No comments:

Post a Comment