Tuesday, June 9, 2009

MLB Draft: Crow, Gibson drafted in 1st round

■ The Kansas City Royals used the 11th pick in the 1st round to select Aaron Crow, MU alum and currently pitching for the independent Fort Worth Cats. Crow is a native of Wakarusa, Kansas.

I know a lot of people who are Mizzou fans AND Royals fans who are happy with this pick.

Congratulations, Aaron!

Kyle Gibson was picked 22nd in the 1st round, by the Minnesota Twins. They obviously are impressed enough with Gibson's potential to take the risk posed by his forearm stress fracture.

Congrats to Gibby!

■ Ben Turner's brother Jacob was taken at #9 by Detroit.

■ Chad James, brother of former Tiger Justin James, was taken #18 by the Marlins. He had been recruited by Mizzou, but signed a letter of intent to play at Oklahoma State. I doubt he'll turn down a 1st round draft selection for Stillwater.

Mizzou's Aaron Crow stays in state, goes to Kanasas City (stltoday.com)
Many pundits and scouts believe that Crow could be the closest to the majors of the pitchers available in this draft, Strasburg included. He has the assortment of pitches, command of his breaking ball and the seasoning in a major conference that can translate to quick movement through the low levels of the minors.
Back and better than before (Columbia Tribune)
MLB.com scouting reports said that, like many pitchers who have gone into independent leagues before re-entering the draft, Crow’s standing has improved.

“I’m really excited to get my career started,” Crow said. “It kind of took a little speed bump, ’cause I thought it was going to happen last year, but I’m excited. I think it’s going to be a great experience. … Hopefully, I’m out playing sooner rather than later.”

Cats' Crow awaits his draft summons (Fort Worth Star-Telegram)

Q: What’s the biggest piece of pitching advice anyone has ever given you?

A: It’s from my college pitching coach. It’s just throw strikes and get ahead of hitters. I’ve had people tell me to "do this with your fastball, do this with your curveball, slider, whatever." Just attack hitters. You’re going to be a lot more successful if you’re ahead in the count.
Twins ignore injury concerns, draft highly ranked pitching prospect Kyle Gibson (Minneapolis Star-Tribune)
The Twins have selected injured University of Missouri righthander Kyle Gibson with the 22nd overall pick of the Major League Baseball’s first-year player draft. Gibson was ranked as the fourth-best prospect by Baseball America but his velocity had dipped in recent outings before he was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his forearm.
. . .
Twins scouting director Deron Johnson acknowledged earlier this week that the club was searching for as much medical information as it could find on Gibson, so they were prepared.
Injury aside, Gibson's stock high for MLB Draft (IndyStar.com)

Kyle blossomed into a star and was one of the 32 semifinalists for the Golden Spikes Award, given to the nation's top college player.

"I'm definitely excited," Kyle said about today's draft. "But I don't think it's completely set in yet.

"I've been blessed a lot to have the opportunities I've had. I've been blessed by parents who go to all my games and basically dedicated their lives to me and my sister."

[Great article - click the link to read the rest]

No comments:

Post a Comment