Sunday, April 19, 2009

MU in the Minors: Culp & Broshuis

■ From OurSportsCentral:

[The San Antonio Missions roster includes] six of the Top 30 prospects in what Baseball America considers to be a thin San Diego system. OF Cedric Hunter (#6), 2B Eric Sogard (#17), Inman (#18), RHP Cesar Carrillo (#20), C Mitch Canham (#25), and RHP Ernesto Frieri (#29). Their roster also includes the pitcher with the best control in the organization (LHP Nathan Culp), the best hitter for average (Hunter), the pitcher with the best curveball (Frieri), and the best defensive infielder (SS Jesus Lopez).
Garrett Broshuis's latest Prospect Diary at BaseballAmerica.com details his Unexpected Setback:
There's nothing like a firm punch in the stomach to wake you up in the morning, especially when it comes on the last day of spring training.
. . .
Ryan Sadowski and I both clung to the Fresno roster (AAA), while my other roommate, Dave McKae, occupied the Connecticut roster (AA). All of us had survived several rounds of cuts, and each of us hoped our sweaty palms would in
fact remain in these positions.
. . .
I sat down in a chair, surrounded by a roomful of baseball men who possessed more baseball knowledge in their mustaches than I possessed in my entire body. I wasn't expecting the glum news I was about to hear. I would go to neither Fresno nor Connecticut. Instead I would remain in extended spring training. With no room in AAA, they threw me into baseball limbo, waiting for something to open up.
■ Examiner.com has more on Broshuis: Broshius experiences the ups and downs of minor league life:
They told me that they didn't have room for me in Triple-A, and were at this time going another route. They wanted to keep some guys there who have already pitched several years in the big leagues.”

Broshuis says he spent a few unhappy days in Arizona, wondering what would happen next. Then the Giants offered to send him to San Jose.

“I immediately accepted it. In extended spring, players don't earn a paycheck but instead only earn $20 a day. My wife is having hip surgery in one week, and so we need the money.”
. . .
“I obviously feel that I have pitched well enough in Double-A to have earned a chance to pitch in Triple-A, but it is a waiting game for right now. While I wait, it's simply good to be back in a place that I loved pitching in the past, playing in front of an active crowd that loves baseball and signing autographs for kids.”

No comments:

Post a Comment