Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Mizzou Diaspora: Jake and Max

Jake Ring at Area Code Games

Grant's Ring commits to playing at Missouri next year (Chicago Tribune)
Jake Ring's months of consistent excellence paid off over the past couple of weeks, as he accepted a scholarship to the University of Missouri and was added to this week's prestigious Area Code Games in Long Beach, Calif. The 5-foot-11 rising senior is one of four Illinois players representing the White Sox in the national all-star tournament.

He received the invitation after going 3-for-3 with four stolen bases in the Midwest Scouts Association Top 50 showcase at the Kansas City Royals' Kaufmann Stadium on July 23.

"It is amazing," said Ring, who had a combined 68 stolen bases the last two springs. "It is a blessing. It shows all my hard work, all the blood, sweat and tears paid off for me."

Ring is the second local outfielder to commit to Missouri this summer, in part because of the encouragement he received from the first one.

Ring said summer teammate Jordan Getzelman of Prairie Ridge was pushing him to join Getzelman in Columbia, Mo., even though it could mean a competition for playing time early in their careers.

"Whatever happens, happens," Ring said. "He is going to push me to work harder, and I'm going to push him. It honestly doesn't matter to me where in the outfield I play."
Scherzer still trying to find consistency (Columbia Tribune)
During the Tigers' recent series in Arlington, fellow MU product Ian Kinsler was the Rangers' starting second baseman, one of three former Missouri players currently in the AL.

"Yeah, I keep tabs on them, the former Tigers. It was obviously a great school to be part of," he said. "I always keep Mizzou in my heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment