Sunday, October 26, 2008

Looking back, perhaps the 1954 Tigers were not the best team . . .

. . . in the College World Series. Perhaps other teams were more talented, had more superstars, had won more titles and had more impressive records. But the Tigers stuck together and came up big.
``I don't think there's any doubt about it,'' Cox said. ``They had better talent like Michigan State, but they just didn't get it all done at the same time we did. Hell, you're looking at me as a .260 hitter - I was better than that - but hell, I couldn't hit my ass with both hands and I go up and lead the World Series in hitting.
``The blind hog found an acre, that was how it went. Muskie was hitting .340 and Jerry a .400 hitter, and they don't pee a drop. Sickel and (George) Gleason hit right behind me in the Series, and we weren't the best players on the team by any means. What I'm trying to say is that somebody picked somebody up every time somebody went down.''
(Columbia Missourian, March 14, 1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment