Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tigers 4, Eds 1

Everyone pitches in in Tigers' win, according to the Columbia Missourian (we won't blame the author for the clunky headline):
Missouri baseball coach Tim Jamieson sometimes looks like Yosemite Sam with two
pistols pulled while he fires pitcher after pitcher at the opposing team.

For the fourth time this season Wednesday night, Jamieson used at least eight pitchers to complete a game.

"It's a staff night and it's all trying to get guys innings before the weekend," said reliever Brad Buehler, who pitched a scoreless ninth inning to earn the save. "It brings us closer together."

■ A quote at the end of that Missourian article caught my attention:
But while Jamieson used almost his entire pitching staff, he wasn't worried about running out of bullets.

"I've never had to pitch a position player in my career," Jamieson said with a grin.
Sorry, Coach, but some of us have been around for a very long time. And I clearly remember Columbia homeboy, outfielder Wes Fewell toeing the rubber against Texas once in his career as a Tiger.

■ Were you wondering about the enthusiasm of a pair of young female fans sitting behind the home dugout last night? Andrew Dewitt has the answer in Broken hearts lead to one wild night at Stripes and Seams:
The sports hacks in the press box noticed these girls pretty early in the game. The went wild, danced to bad songs from the 1990s and tried to out-do ultimate MU baseball fan Larry Wyatt. (Match made in heaven?) They even disappeared in between innings
PowerMizzou covered the game as well, in Lollis hit leads to victory:
"It was the hit and run," Lollis said. "They were just trying to get me on base again I think. I haven't been on in like a long time, but it was the hit and run, so I was just trying to get the ball on the ground, but I guess I just hit it over his head which is pretty cool."

Did they take the bunt sign off?

"Yeah, they did. I could not get it down," he continued laughing.
■ And what's the fun of having your own blog if you can't indulge in some self-serving grumbling occasionally. Arriving at the ballpark last night, I was told by the Event Staff at the gate that they would need to check my bag before I entered, that there are rules of what you can and cannot carry into any MU athletic facility.

I pointed out to them that this would be the first time since I began coming regularly to Simmons Field in 1991 that anyone would demand to check my carry-in bag, and added that this would be the first game of several this season that anyone would suggest that this practice had changed.

They ended up letting me carry in my thermos of decaf, and all was hunky-dory. We'll see whether this was an aberration or indeed a new application of policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment