Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mizzou in the Majors: Justin James


Justin James glad he listened to little brother (San Francisco Chronicle)
Last year, Justin James was close to packing in his baseball career. He'd spent a year and a half with a mysterious arm injury, and doctors could find no structural damage.

The right-hander's younger brother, Chad - a left-hander who was the Marlins' top pick in the 2009 draft - convinced him to stick it out, and the two worked with a trainer, John Carey, who resolved Justin James' arm issues. His shoulder was too tight, and deep tissue work helped loosen things. His fastball, which had lost 8 mph, is better than ever: James throws 95 mph.


September call-up excites James (mlb.com)
"You never want to take the jersey off your back," James said, "but I was going through a rough time."

He took time out of his offseason to visit with his brother's trainer, who discovered that, despite negative MRI results on his sore arm, the right-handed pitcher had no mobility in his shoulder. Thus, James was able to use that knowledge to work his way back to the mound.

"That was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life, going there," he said. "It really changed my life around. My brother kept telling me to hang in there and keep going, and I did."

No comments:

Post a Comment