Friday, July 9, 2010

Big 12 Baseball

Mike Anderson's replacement in waiting?

Erstad returns for "chance of a lifetime" (HuskerExtra.com)
15 years after he last played for Nebraska, Darin Erstad is back as a volunteer assistant, the university announced Thursday. And just to clarify his new status, Erstad is not staking a claim to the No. 17 jersey he wore when he was a first-team All-America outfielder and the top pick in the 1995 Major League Baseball Draft.

“I’m not a player any more. I’ll take whatever number they want to give me,” he said Thursday afternoon. This is “pretty cool. I’m probably not as green or rough around the edges as I was when I signed out of high school, but my allegiance to the Huskers is a little stronger now.”

So, why Nebraska now? And why coaching?

The first question has a three-pronged answer that starts with Erstad wrapping up a 14-year major-league career last season with the Houston Astros. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment