A good source for news about the summer wood bat leagues is http://www.collegesummerbaseball.net/
Alaska Baseball League
■ Peninsula Oilers
• Ryan GebhartCalifornia Collegiate League
■ San Luis Obispo Blues
• Dane OpelCape Cod League
• Former MU Pitching Coach Chal Fanning is the head coach of the Blues
■ Falmouth Commodores
• Eric Anderson was scheduled to pitch for the Commodores, but will instead spend the summer rehabbing from his season-ending injury■ Hyannis Harbor Hawks
• Jeff LusardiNorthwoods League
■ Duluth Huskies
• Scott SommerfeldM.I.N.K. League
■ Sedalia Bombers
• Zach Hardoin■ St. Joseph Mustangs
• Ryan Clubb
• Sam Lind (former Tiger)Prospect League
■ Hannibal Cavemen
• James Hudelson (JuCo transfer to MU)Texas Collegiate League
■ East Texas PumpJacks
• Jesse Santo■ Texas Tomcats
• Eric Garcia■ Victoria Generals
• Andre Rodriguez
•Conner MachWest Coast League
■ Cowlitz Black Bears
It's a nomad's life for Black Bears' skipper (tdn.com)
Bryson LeBlanc is always up for a challenge.
In 2009, he hooked on with the University of Oregon baseball team as a volunteer assistant coach, working with the outfielders and coaching first base as the Ducks returned to the diamond for the first time in 28 years.
Several months after Oregon's season ended, LeBlanc was hired as the first head coach for the Cowlitz Black Bears, the newest entry in the West Coast League.
Another new team, another new challenge.
■ Wood bats a welcome challenge for Black Bears hitters (tdn.com)
With a wooden bat, barrel must meet baseball exactly right, and even perfect contact generates less oomph than its metallic descendants.
Miss the sweet spot by an inch, you kill a rally.
Miss by more, you kill a bat.
For the members of the Cowlitz Black Bears who are making their first full-time adjustment from aluminum to wood, that's just the way they like it.