Saturday, November 29, 2008

D-1 coaches suggest changes

Nearly everyone has their own pet peeves about the way NCAA Baseball functions, and the Division I Head Coaches are no different. Kendall Rogers at CollegeBaseball.Rivals.com reports on a recent meeting of D-I head baseball coaches in Indianapolis, and also provides some analysis of the recommendations. Among the suggested changes:
  • Keep the uniform start date, but add a week to the season, either before or after [I vote for before - trrip]
  • Increase scholarships from 11.7 to 14.0 [still not enough compared to football and basketball]
  • Adjust RPI formula to reward road wins [makes sense- basketball does this]
  • Allow 4 exhibition games in the Fall against D-I opponents, without impacting the 56-game allowance [I'd love to see a home-and-away vs. KU every Fall]
  • 20 second pitch clock [this was suggested by Wichita State's Gene Stephenson; seems to me he should worry less about how quickly his guys pitch and more about which direction they're throwing the ball]

No comments:

Post a Comment